Monday, September 25, 2006

State of the (football) union.

It's about time I post another...post.

NCAA

  • Notre Dame v. MSU How awesome would it have been if Michigan State had, oh, not blown a 16 point fourth quarter lead and given the Irish their second consecutive Big Ten beatdown. Now don't get me wrong, I've got no love for the Wolverines or Sparty, but I've got much less love for Notre Dame, and I'm a Big Ten homer. But lo, John L. Smith's boys felt it would be better to roll over and give Charlie Weiss an opportunity to shake his ample man-boobies in the rain. Say lah vee.
  • Michigan v. Bucky Okay, by rights, Wisconsin should have gotten lit up. Unfortunately, they decided to keep it close enough to keep watching. Good: Stocco played well and was given time to throw for most of the game. Bad: Zach Hampton muffing that punt return. Seriously, with a 10-7 lead and success against Michigan's defense early, sustaining a drive and adding even a field goal could have given Wisconsin the momentum they'd need for the second half. Probably not, though. Luckily, Wisconsin's at Indiana, home against Northwestern and Minnesota, at Purdue, and home against Illinois before they meet Joe Pa at Camp Randall. (Hopefully, if he's sick, instead of running to the locker room, he'll just barf on the sideline. Hilarious.) Anyway, that stretch should see Wisconsin with five wins, outscoring their opponents 260-12. You gotta love having about the cream puffiest Big Ten schedule imaginable.
  • Chuck Amato got lucky.
  • John Bunting? Not so much.
  • Louisville must be deeper than I thought. They've looked pretty good without Michael Bush and Brian Brohm (who turned into a pretty solid pro in my Madden 06 franchise, btw). Since the Big East is garbage, their only test is going to be West Virginia, who they've got at home in the Domino's Dome, er, Papa John's Stadium.

NFL

  • Broncos v. Patriots There's something I really enjoy about watching Tom Brady lose football games. Actually, I guess it's not him so much as it is Belichick. Yes, he's a great football coach. I'm just really hoping that getting rid of Deion Branch blows up in the Patriots' collective face. There comes a time when, no matter how good your gameplans, you're not going to be able to win a Super Bowl with a team full of sixth round draft picks and bargain basement free agent cast-offs.
  • Brett Favre is going to break Dan Marino's touchdown record this season. If the Packers finish 7-9 or better, he'll come back to play next year, too. You read it here first.
  • Daunte Culpepper is pissing me the hell off. Everything about his situation should indicate that he have a better season than Drew Brees, but it's just not playing out that way. If he doesn't throw thirty touchdown passes to Chris Chambers and Randy McMichael, my fantasy team is going to be very, very disappointed with him.
  • Bengals v. Steelers This was probably the best game of the weekend. Maybe a tad overhyped, though. I like Bill Cowher, but I hate Joey Porter. I like Carson Palmer, but I don't think Chad Johnson is nearly as entertaining as, well, everybody else in the world does.
  • I know I'm not supposed to, but I actually like Rex Grossman. Maybe it's that he's had a pretty shit time during his career so far. He seems like a good guy and a good quarterback, so I guess it's not so terrible to see him doing well. It'd be a different story if Green Bay was a legitimate contender in the North, though.

That'll do it for now. This post was relatively painless (for me to write; I don't know what it's like to read - but I'm guessing a lot like winning the lottery while having an ice cream orgasm), so I'll probably get better about it. Be forewarned, though, it's only a matter of time before post become almost exclusively dedicated to my NCAA Dynasty and Madden Franchise. Or Harry Potter.

Suck it, jerks!

4 Comments:

At 9:55 AM, Blogger Matt said...

You couldn't have found a picture of Bunting crying at that one press conference? That woulda been tits.

About Chuck: That guy's a dipshit. All over the sports radio shows this week, State fans have been polishing his knob, showing once and for all that ACC fans know dick-all about football. Look, fuckos, your stupid coach got lucky on account of a fluke-ass play. You're still gonna be lucky if you win 3 more games this year.

I gotta agree about the Pats, though. Despite Belicheck's "just enough to win" philosophy, the Pats have been played way too closely in games they shoulda owned (Bills, Jets). It's good to see them getting back to run-based football, because Brady's getting too big for his britches.

Culpepper's play is a problem for your fantasy team, yes. But the bigger question is, who you gonna get to start in place of Kurt Warner? Who would Jesus start?

That Bengals-Steelers game was fucking awesome. Although the Carolina-City of Tampa game was worse, it was also really fun to watch. How many games have you seen this year where the QB gets his ass beat so bad that he has to have his spleen removed??? Palmer needs to learn how hang onto the ball though.

Rex Grossman is awesome. That last minute TD in Mpls made me jump out of my chair, such was it's awesomeness. Look forward to increased future awesomeness. The Bears will win the Super Bowl this year. Fucking believe it.

 
At 11:58 AM, Anonymous Rochester said...

Hmmm. Matt sounds bitter. Wait, Matt always sounds bitter.

 
At 12:03 PM, Anonymous Rochester said...

Oh, ACC fans also don't know dick about marching bands, too. BALLS.

 
At 4:56 PM, Blogger Matt said...

I have no idea what you mean, for the second time today.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home